Monday, December 19, 2011

My First Sermon

Hebrew 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever

When I was about 9 years old my grandparents took me, my brother and my sister camping in northern California. We always loved camping. Maybe it was because we got to get more dirty and shower less than we would if we were at home. Maybe it was for the wrong reasons. But I did learn to fish, we saw a bear once and I’ll never forget my grandma chasing my sister with a dead fish head.

(L to R) Me, Delissa & Saul at our grandparents, around
the time of our church camp service.

At that time the only church we were exposed to was when we spent the weekend with our grandparents.  
One time, we decided to have church. My brother took up the offering and my sister sang. And because she wouldn’t stop singing my brother, the usher, forcefully escorted her away from our pulpit. I then got up to preach.
My sermon? Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today and forever! Although I can’t recount my sermon now (although it still exists in video camera footage at my grandparents house today), I’m sure not much was said in the actual sermon. But there isn’t much more than can be said, is there? I’m sure my 9 year old self didn’t realize how much content was in the title alone. Or did I? Would I or could I have known how much power was in my title and that scripture then?
(L to R) Me, Dad and Saul
 My eyes water as I think back from then to now. Thinking of all the things God has done for me to bring me from there to here. That kid didn’t know God like I know Him today. I’m sure that kid didn’t know that a couple years later I would be baptized and years after that filled with the gift of the Holy Ghost. I don’t think he knew I would write a booklet for teenagers to understand the Godhead easier. I’m sure that kid didn’t know that I would get to preach today.  I bet he didn’t know that I’d preach the same message 17 years later on December 18, 2011. The 9 year old me preached a camp message (literally). The 9 year old me was on to something.
But I wonder what the 9 year old me would think of me if he could have seen into the future. How would he feel? What would he say? Would he be happy or let down?
I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately. How can I meet my own expectations?
As you can tell, my 9 year old self impresses me. But I hope he would be impressed by me now. One thing is for sure, Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today and forever!

1 comment:

  1. That 9 year old impresses me too! Even today does he impress me! Love you much Raulo! Aunt Nancy.

    ReplyDelete